I wouldn't dream of buying him clothes - nope, not even socks or underpants unless I was replicating what he already has, because I know that he's super particular, and definitely wouldn't like them otherwise. So we basically buy our own gifts and say 'This is what you bought me', or send links, not vague hints. As I have learnt, and in life, not just with presents, vague hints will get you nowhere.
Usually we buy each other one or two small surprise gifts to go under the Christmas Tree, because despite my awful fussiness, I do actually really like a surprise, but only if I love it. And I'm not even joking: my worst nightmare is someone buying me something for the house. It sends shivers down my spine.
And yes, I realise that this takes the 99.99% of the romance out of gift giving, but frankly, I'd rather get nothing that something I don't love. And if that makes me a terrible person, then so be it.
Anyway, I figured that surely we can't be the only people like this, so I've put this gift guide together in the hopes that he'll buy me everything on it. Only kidding, five things would suffice. Not really, I put this gift guide together because I think everything on it is super cool, and I wouldn't even be annoyed if someone gave me any of these things which is really saying something. And obviously I'm not completely selfish, and I hope it might help a few people out there that are nervously searching for something to buy for that very hard to buy for friend or partner.
The prices range from £10 to £540 and everything in between, so you definitely can't accuse me of only offering super pricey ideas, though I've offered a few of them too.
1. I'm really into ceramics right now, and this carafe set makes my heart sing.
2. In my humble, scented candle obsessed opinion, you still can't beat a large coloured glass Diptyque candle. Amber for me thanks...
3. This blanket is incredible. And while I'd love to think I was cool enough to just use it as a throw, I can tell you that I'd be framing it and putting on a wall of it's own. Granted the framing would be very pricey, but then for around a grand all in you'd have an heirloom artwork, so you know, it's all relative.
4. I have this Dainty Lightning Necklace necklace and I totally adore it, so you or your friend should have one too.
5. Ice in drinks is so last year. We all need these Drink Rocks in the freezer instead...
6. You can't go wrong giving this divine Aesop hand cream as a gift. Trust me.
7. If there's something we sorely lack in this house it's the ability to listen to music through good quality speakers. I'm going to change that next year. This Ruark integrated stereo system looks awesome, and it also has a CD player!
8. I've been lusting after one of these fab Normann Copenhagen Flip Mirrors for a while, and I think they make a gorgeous gift.
9. You can always rely on the Japanese to make practical things beautiful and desireable, and these kitchen scissors are no exception.
10. Originally launched in the sixties, these reissues of the original classic stackable candle holders by Werner Stoff and Hans Nagel in brass are SO cool. Though I think you need at least three to start building an interesting shape. I have one so far. Hint hint. And don't forget the candles.
11. This Macaroon lidded box by Bodo Sperlein, is something special. For keeping track of your jewels, or just to gaze lovingly at from across the room.
12. Because who doesn't want a bit of 'it' brand du jour in the form of Birthday Balm in their handbag?
13. This Alphabet Brush Pot was on my list last year too. I told you that subtle hints get you nowhere.
14. Black Parrots are one of my favourite indy's, and you should check them out if you don't already know them. Their new snake print is so good, and I just love the round cushions.
15. I may be all about warm neutrals and monochrome at the moment, but there's always an exception to the rule, and this little Comme des Garçon pouch is it.
16. A symbol of good luck, I'm pretty sure there's not a soul I know who wouldn't benefit from a gold goldfish paperweight.
17. Everyone needs a candle snuffer. Fact.
18. More pink ceramics, what can I say?
19. Obsessed with Tom Dixon's Bump vases. I mean, hello you sculptural beauties that don't even need any flowers.
20. For those who aren't' blessed enough to already own a classic Kitchen Aid mixer. I'm one of those people. Can you believe it?!